VLC for Android is an application that can be used to watch videos on Android devices, in which it will let you do that and much more. Of course, you will need a device with a ARMv7 CPU to be able to enjoy the awesome tools that this application has to offer.
The application will allow you to play videos and sound files in a ton of different formats, in a way very similar to VLC. It will be very easy to explore your library where you have all your files and play them with just a touch of a finger on your screen.
The same way, the app comes with support of various tracks on one video, subtitles, auto-rotation of the screen, and screen adjustments, that you can modify by as little as three clicks! VLC for Android is a great tool to play audio and video files and therefore watching movies will be so much easier and normal on an Android device!
If somebody asked you about the best multimedia player available, you’d probably answer VLC Media Player. And the truth is that this free and open-source application has consolidated as the best media player on different platforms, including Windows PC, but also macOS, Linux, and Android.
If you use it on your PC… why not on your mobile device?
This is the version in APK format for Android smartphones and tablet and that comes along with all the features that have made it so popular among millions of users. We have to take into account that we’re talking about a rather old application, the first version of which appeared back in 1996, and that since then has landed on all operating systems: Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 10… That fact has made it evolve version after version, thanks to the contributions of the user community that has implemented different improvements and functions on each new editions, that have later been taken into the mobile version.
VLC for Android offers us a video and audio player capable of opening and playing any format, regardless of how rare it may be, as well as streaming from networks and ISOs and DVDs, just like the desktop version:
- Play multimedia files in any format, including the most common: MKV, MP4, AVI, MOV, OGG, FLAC, TS, M2TS, WV, AAC…
- Codecs included without needing to download them separately.
- Access to the multimedia gallery with complete searches.
- Support for streaming networks including HLS.
- Support for secondary devices.
- Possibility to introduce subtitle tracks, both embedded and external, including ASS and for DVD.
- Compatible with headphone controls.
- Audio equalizer.
- Access all the contents of a network.
- Compatible with Chromecast.
Alternatives to VLC? Which one’s better?
Well, at this stage the truth is that there are many other tools to play videos and other multimedia formats that also work perfectly: MX Player, KMPlayer, Media Play Classic Home Cinema… The thing is that going for VideoLAN’s program is always a safe choice and a wise decision. You know that it’s hardly ever going to fail on you and that you’re going to be able to open whatever format you need. So, we can say without a doubt that it’s definitely the best multimedia player for Android, although others are gradually closing the gap.
What’s new in the latest version?
- Welcome screen for new users.
- Solves an error when downloading subtitles.
- Solves an error with the update to albums, genres, and artists.
Requirements and additional information:
- Minimum operating system requirements: Android 2.3.